Sunday, May 25, 2014

It’s all things Indy 500 this morning…



My kids and I are relaxing around the house this Sunday morning with the historic Indianapolis 500 on the TV.  This is the 98th running of the race.  I was fortunate enough to attend two of the races back in college in the early 1990’s.  The University of Toledo is only about three hours from Indianapolis so a group of us made the road trip and watched the race from the infield mound…what an epic experience and such a blast.  I would love to take my kids to the race in a couple years for the 100th Anniversary.  Instead of a three hour drive, it’s now a three hour flight, but I think would be well worth the trip.  Both my son and my little girl love cars like their Dad.

While the race was on, we looked up a lot of interesting facts about the race.  It’s awesome that the cars travel at an average speed of 187 mph, reaching around 230 mph at times on the straight away.  Fortunately the last fatality at the race was back in 1973, a year after I was born, although I know there have been some horrific crashes in more recent years. 

Here are a few great reference sites that I found about the race.  Enjoy race fans!




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment